If you have received a drag racing traffic ticket in Florida, contact a Skubiak & Rivas street racing attorney in Orlando. Drag racing charges carry strong penalties, but the cases are often difficult to prove. An experienced drag racing attorney in Florida has the skills and knowledge of the state statute to mount a strong defense against drag racing charges and save you from a conviction.
Definition Of Drag Racing In Florida
A “Drag Race”, as defined by Florida State Statute 316.191 (1) (b), is “the operation of two or more motor vehicles from a point side by side at accelerating speeds in a competitive attempt to outdistance each other, or the operation of one or more motor vehicles over a common selected course, from the same point to the same point, for the purpose of comparing the relative speeds or power of acceleration of such motor vehicle or motor vehicles within a certain distance or time limit.”
Minimum Penalties For Receiving A Drag Racing Traffic Ticket
In addition to drivers, spectators, passengers, and race organizers can all receive a drag racing or moving violation tickets. Anyone caught driving in a drag race faces misdemeanor charges, which carry the following penalties:
- A 1 year revocation of their driver’s license.
- Fines of between $500 and $1,000.
Subsequent convictions have even more severe penalties. If you are convicted within 5 years of the previous conviction, the penalties increase to:
- Driver’s license revocation of 2 years and fines between $1,000 and $3,000 for a second conviction.
- Driver’s license revocation of 4 years and fines between $2,000 and $5,000 for a third conviction.
Additional penalties, regardless of the number of times you’ve been convicted include:
- Up to 90 days in jail
- Mandatory adjudication or conviction on your record
- Impoundment of the vehicle used by the defendant
- Seizure and forfeiture of the vehicle if the defendant had a prior conviction for racing within the past 5 years
Fight A Drag Racing Traffic Ticket With Help From A Traffic Attorney In Orlando, FL
It is possible to successfully fight a drag racing ticket in Florida. With help from the attorneys at the Traffic Law Firm Skubiak & Rivas, P.A. you can mount a strong defense and get your charges dropped or the penalties lessened. Call us at 407-894-4449 to arrange a free consultation.