If you have a racing on the highway ticket in Florida, you should definitely consult an attorney. Due to vague terms written in to the law, it’s very possible to be charged with racing on the highway even if you weren’t. Since the penalties are so severe, it’s best to challenge these tickets to try to get the charges dropped or reduced. A Skubiak & Rivas racing on the highway attorney in Florida can help you fight these charges and develop a strong defense.
Definition Of Racing On The Highway
Under Florida State Statute 316.191 (1) (c), racing on the highway refers to instances where the driver or drivers engage in a competition of speed and acceleration, but spectators and passengers can be charged with racing on the highway too.
Minimum Penalties For Racing On The Highway
Racing on the highway is considered a misdemeanor in Florida and the penalties have increased in recent years. Upon conviction, you can expect:
- A 1 year revocation of your driver’s license.
- Fines of between $500 and $1,000.
If you are convicted of racing on the highway within 5 years of the previous conviction, the penalties increase to:
- Driver’s license revocation of 2 years and fines between $1,000 and $3,000 for a second conviction.
- Driver’s license revocation of 4 years and fines between $2,000 and $5,000 for a third conviction.
Additional penalties, regardless of the number of times you’ve been convicted include:
- Up to 90 days in jail
- Mandatory adjudication or conviction on your record
- Impoundment of the vehicle used by the defendant
- Seizure and forfeiture of the vehicle if the defendant had a prior conviction for racing within the past 5 years
Mount A Strong Defense With Help From A Traffic Attorney In Orlando
Due to nuances in the law, it is possible to fight a racing on the highway ticket and achieve a positive outcome. The attorneys at Skubiak & Rivas have defended thousands of drivers charged with racing on the highway and were able to get the charges dropped or changed to less serious infractions.
Don’t risk fines and loss of your driver’s license or vehicle due to a racing on the highway ticket. Contact a traffic attorney in Orlando at Skubiak & Rivas, P.A. at 407-894-4449. We offer free consultations and honest assessments of your situation.