Red light cameras are found in numerous locations throughout Florida. And if you drive through a red light, even if a police officer doesn’t witness the offense, the camera may catch you in the act, and you may be issued a red light ticket as a result.
Running a red light in our state is against the law, and if you fail to come to a complete stop at a red light, or if you proceed through an intersection when a light is red, you could be looking at a large ticket.
If you are issued a red light camera ticket, it’s important that you know what steps to take. Here’s some information about how to beat a red light camera ticket in Florida, steps to take after being issued a red light ticket, and how an attorney can help–
Steps to Take After a Red Light Ticket in Florida
Understanding the red light ticket process and what steps you need to take after being issued a ticket is important. Here’s what you should do after being issued a red light ticket–
- Review your options. If you are issued a red light traffic ticket, which will be sent to you in the mail, you will have 60 days to do one of the following:
- Pay the penalty;
- Request a hearing before a local hearing officer; or
- Submit an affidavit transferring liability or establishing a statutory exemption from liability.
- Don’t fail to take action. Remember, you only have two months (60 days) to respond to your ticket. If you do not take action within this time frame, you may face additional penalties. As such, it is important that you act quickly.
- Contact an attorney to discuss your case. For some people, merely paying the penalty may be the best option. However, for others, this could mean additional points added to a driver’s license that result in a license suspension, an increase in an insurance rate, or other penalties. If you’re unsure what you should do, or if you want to fight the red light ticket, the best thing that you can do is to contact a traffic attorney who is familiar in red light traffic tickets.
How to Get Out of a Red Light Camera Ticket in Florida
If you do not want to pay for your red light camera ticket and instead want to fight the ticket, it’s important that you understand the defenses available to you. You may be able to fight the ticket by arguing that you did not run the red light and that the camera was faulty, that running the red light was justified (i.e. it was an emergency – for example, if you were driving to the hospital in an emergency situation), or that you were not driving the vehicle at the time of the offense and have therefore been issued the ticket in error.
Do I Need to Work with a Red Light Traffic Attorney?
You can pay your traffic ticket or request a hearing without legal representation, but doing so isn’t always advised. If you plan to fight the traffic ticket, doing so with legal representation by your side is within your best interests.
Your traffic attorney can explain to you the potential penalties you face, how paying a ticket may affect your driving record and insurance, how to request a hearing and present evidence in your favor, and any other options in front of you. If you are facing any other additional penalties–for example, if you do not respond to the citation within the required time frame–your attorney can assist you in taking action in regards to this, too.
Call Our Experienced Traffic Attorneys in Florida Today
Admitting guilt and merely paying a red light traffic ticket isn’t always advised, especially when doing so could have greater consequences on your driving privileges. At the law offices of Skubiak & Rivas, we understand the red light ticket process, steps you should take after being issued a ticket, and how to fight a red light camera ticket. We have years of experience behind our name, and are passionate about helping our clients understand their options when facing traffic charges.
To learn more about how we can be of assistance, our legal process, and what your options are, please call our law firm today or contact us online. We offer free initial consultations for all new clients, and are ready to chat with you today.